Self-Care Tips for Colorado Birth Mothers Navigating Adoption During the Month of May
Creating an adoption plan can be difficult. It is not only emotionally draining but can begin to take its toll on you physically. Many birth mothers focus on their baby being taken care of, but what about the birth mother? Of course, the baby’s well-being is important, but so is yours. It is easy to focus on your baby, but you cannot forget about your physical, mental, and emotional state. The healthier you are, the healthier your baby will be. You may have already contacted an Adoption Agency in Colorado and have decided on your adoption plan, or you may just have started the process. It is okay to think about your health wherever you are in your Denver adoption journey. Here are some self-care tips for Colorado birth mothers that any birth mother can follow.
Live a Healthy Lifestyle During Your Pregnancy
- Eat a proper diet of fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains
- Exercising can help reduce stress – take a walk or even a yoga class
- Take prenatal vitamins
- Listen to your doctor
Bonus that being fit can also help with labor and delivery.
Get Plenty of Sleep
Make sure you are getting enough shut-eye. Proper sleep can make a world of difference. It regulates mood, but your body also needs proper sleep to rejuvenate. Plus, when you sleep well, you wake up feeling well. It can help set the mood for the entire day.
Practice Self-Care Throughout the Adoption Process
Self-care is when you do something for yourself. Something that makes you feel good and relaxes you.
- Take a Bath: Nothing seems more relaxing than sitting in a nice warm bubble bath. While it might not be the answer to all your problems, it can help you to relieve muscle aches and help with circulation within the body.
- Read a Book: Still have that book you never got to finish, or look at a newly published work from your favorite author. Reading a book can help reduce blood pressure and heart rate. It might be the perfect distraction you need.
- Spend Time With Friends: Being able to do an activity that you enjoy with people you love can help you to let go of the stresses that can overwhelm you. Going out to dinner or shopping at the mall can help nourish your emotional health and is good for your soul.
- Watch Your Favorite Show: Make yourself cozy and put on your favorite show. Watching a show that brings you joy could just be the type of comfort you may need. Don’t forget the popcorn to watch a good comedy or get that movie on pay-per-view that you have wanted to see.
Find Adoption Support
The best way to feel supported is to find people who support you. Friends and family can be great resources, but they aren’t the only resource. A religious leader or another birth mother can also be a source of comfort in the CO Adoption process. Find someone you can talk to and who will listen.
Keep a journal or find a hobby. Maybe you were thinking of taking up drawing and painting, or maybe even knitting. All can be therapeutic for you to get out any feelings you may have. This might just be the way for you to relieve the emotions you might be feeling during pregnancy. It can be a great way to convey the feelings you did not even know you had.
Give Yourself A Break, Adoption is Not a Sprint, it’s a Marathon
Coming up with an adoption plan can be hard. The private adoption process in Colorado can be difficult to navigate and stir up an array of emotions. Many birth mothers can have feelings of guilt or anger over their unplanned pregnancy, and that is okay. Everyone can take the adoption process differently, and every journey is not the same. Remember to go easy on yourself and be kind.
You may need to talk to an adoption representative about finding counseling or a support group. Finding others that have gone through the same thing you are can build connections and, who knows, maybe friendship. Finding resources or receiving counseling can help you then begin to heal.
If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and want to learn more about your adoption options, contact Adoption Choices of Colorado by email, phone, or text: Email Us, Text us: 720-371-1099, Call us: 303-670-4673 (HOPE). If you are hoping to adopt, please contact us here.