Reasons Why You Should Choose a Semi-Open Adoption Plan in CO
If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy, we know how stressed and anxious you may feel when it comes to your options for the adoption process and what is best for you and your child. These worries and anxieties are completely valid, and we know how challenging and complex of a time this can be.
That’s why at Adoption Choices of Colorado, we want to provide you with the information you may need when it comes to finding an adoption plan that is best suited for you and your child’s needs.
What Is an Adoption Plan?
When you are facing an unplanned pregnancy, you have three options. You may either raise your child yourself, terminate your pregnancy, or contact Adoption Choices of Colorado in order to figure out the next steps for your adoption plan.
We know that each of these steps can create its own stressors and complexities. At Adoption Choices of Colorado, we can help you with the legal process of pre and post-placement of your child with an adoptive family.
An adoption plan is a helpful tool that outlines your needs and wants from the adoption process for you and your child. Here are some helpful resources it can include:
- It includes your plans after the baby is born and post-placement plans.
- It can outline the specific type of communication you want with the adoptive parents, such as open, semi-open, or closed communication.
- It can also include the knowledge you want your baby’s adoptive parents to know about.
- It can also include details on financial, counseling, and hospital plans.
All of this is written out very early on, and some of it may even be written before you start working with an adoption agency. If you are interested in a semi-open adoption plan, then your adoption plan will reflect that.
What Is A Semi-Open Plan and Why Should I Choose it?
Many agencies are usually somewhere between open and closed adoptions and label it as semi-open since they are the prime contact between you and the adopted parents. As a birth mother, you are in full control of the type of communication you want between your child and your child’s adoptive parents.
In a semi-open adoption, communication is essentially open but limited through the agency. You are allowed to choose your baby’s adoptive parents, similar to open adoption, but there is little information. You will not meet in person, rather Adoption Choices of Colorado will help facilitate any contact between all members involved.
Although your identity will be shared with the adoptive parents, there will be little information about you. You do not have contact with your child post-placement, but you will receive updates from them. This is typically done through photos and will be facilitated through our adoption agency again.
Benefits You Recieve When You Choose a Semi-Open Adoption
As we stated before, the best benefit is that it is between open and closed adoptions. Here are some of the reasons why to choose a semi-open adoption plan and how it can be helpful for birth mothers:
- Open communication can be too painful for many birth mothers, but they still want to maintain some contact.
- You are able to interview and select your child’s adoptive parents who can give you some peace in knowing your child will go to a safe and stable environment.
- If you desire some privacy but are still open to progress about your child, this can be a great medium for both.
- You can get a sense of closure knowing your child was adopted by a loving family that has a stable home environment, so it can alleviate any guilt or stress you may have if you have no communication at all.
- Your child may grow up and have questions about you, so the adoptive parents can give them information on why it was in their best interest to be placed for adoption or even know your name.
Choosing The Best Adoption Plan For You
If you are considering semi-open adoption, it’s important to reflect on how much communication is best for you and your child and how much you want with your child’s adoptive parents. With semi-open adoption plans, you still get a sense of privacy but also allow what is in the best interest of you and the child.
As a birth mother, you have full control over what you want from the adoption process, and we are here to make sure it’s as smooth as possible for you and your child. However, we know how complex and emotional this time can be, so we want to make sure you have all the information you need to make the best decision for you and your child when considering adoption.
At Adoption Choices of Colorado, we are here to make the transition as easy as possible for you. That means providing you with the tools and resources you need to make informed decisions. It’s normal to feel overwhelmed, anxious, or guilty, so that’s why we want to help you in any way we can. Contact us with any questions or concerns you have or if you want some help planning the next steps!
If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and want to learn more about your adoption options, contact Adoption Choices of Colorado by email, phone, or text: Email Us, Text us: 720-371-1099, Call us: 303-670-4673 (HOPE). If you are hoping to adopt, please contact us here.
Meet the Author: Katie Doherty is a junior Writing, Literature, and Publishing major at Emerson College in Boston, Massachusetts. She loves to write, read, and edit, whether it’s technical or creative writing. Although she enjoys writing poetry, narrative nonfiction, and fiction writing, she also loves to write on current political events, cultural trends, and research. She spends her free time listening to music, watching the Great British Bake Off, and learning how to crochet.