Daily Reminders and Quotes for Adoptive Moms
Being an adoptive mom means you likely have a long list of reasons why you are a mom and a second list of doubts if you’re a good one. Both of these lists are natural. Parenthood comes with not only many intricacies, but also so many loving and great moments. For the days where you feel like you just need some sunshine and reminders that you are doing the best you can, we’ve got you covered.
At Adoption Choices of Colorado, we support and celebrate all moms. The month of May is all about celebrating birth moms and adoptive moms, even after Mother’s Day and the whole month has passed. We have put together a collection of affirmations and quotes that can be used daily for what best suits your needs.
The Title Mom
To begin, we want to define who a mother is. The dictionary defines a mother who gives birth and then parents her child. But we know that motherhood goes much deeper than that. Mothers are amazing women who love, care and protect their children, even if he or she are not biological offspring.
Being a mother is a selfless act. Being a mother means you constantly put your child first. You don’t do it because it is what’s best for you or because you want to look like a hero, but because it’s the best thing for your child. In times of great adversity, we need reminders or signs of faith.
Here is a list of reminders and quotes of what being mom is and what it equates to:
- “Little souls find their way to you, whether they’re from your womb or someone else’s.” – Sheryl Crow
- “I always tell Genesis she was born from my heart, not my belly.” – Viola Davis
- “Being a mother is an attitude, not a biological relation.” – Robert A. Heinlein
- “Adoptive Mom? I am Mom. I need no other label or prefix.” – Joanne Greco
- “Biology is the least of what makes someone a mother.” – Oprah Winfrey
- “One of the greatest titles in the world is parent, and one of the biggest blessings in the world is to be one.” – Jim Demint
- “Mother is a verb. It’s something you do, not just who you are.” – Cherly Lacey Donovan
- “I think our job as parents is to give our child roots to grow and wings to fly.” – Deborah Norville
Motherhood through Adoption
Adoption is not a choice you make out of the ideology to become the hero, but an act toward doing something that is greater beyond yourself. If you need a reminder of why you are choosing to adopt and why it is important to you, here are a list of quotes to help:
- “I cannot do all the good that the world needs but the world needs all the good that I can do” – Jana Stanfield
- “It’s important to realize that we adopt not because we are rescuers. No. We adopt because we are rescued.” – David Platt
- “Adoption carries the added dimension of connection not only to your own tribe but beyond, widening the scope of what constitutes love, ties, and family. It is the larger embrace.” – Isabella Rossellini
- “There are times when the adoption process is exhausting and painful and makes you want to scream. But, I am told, so does childbirth.” – Scott Simon
- “Adopting one child won’t change the world: but for that child, the world will change.” – Unknown
- “My birth mother brought me into this world, but it was my adoptive parents who gave me life.” – Christina Romo
- “Love recognizes no barriers. It jumps hurdles, leaps fences, and penetrates walls to arrive at its destination full of hope.” – Maya Angelou
A Mother Loves her Family
Family can come in all shapes and sizes. Biological and not, or a combination of the two.
Here’s a very large reminder to adoptive moms that your family does not have to follow a cookie cutter outline. Adoption does not mean you aren’t a family. Rather that you had the choice of who is able to be in your family. All families look and function differently and can be defined by whatever you choose it to be. There is always love and continuous learning and growing from all parties.
Here are some quotes to remind you that there are no rules as to what constitutes family:
- “Families don’t have to match. You don’t have to look like someone else to love them.” – Leigh Anne Tuohy
- “Not flesh of my flesh, nor bone of my bone, but still miraculously my own. Never forget for a single minute, you didn’t grow under my heart but in it.” -Fleur Conkling Heyliger
- “We should not be asking who this child belongs to, but who belongs to this child.” – James L. Gritter
- “They may not have my eyes, they may not have my smile, but they have all my heart.” – Unknown
- “Family is not defined by our genes, it is built and maintained through love.” – Amalia G.
Quotes for Adoptive Moms
We are here to support you and celebrate you — always. Like all moms, birth moms and adoptive moms are such an important person and play such an integral role in a birth child or adopted child’s life. Perhaps these quotes can be daily reminders and affirmations you are able to reference when you need them most, or just to bring a bit of sunshine into your day.
If you are facing an unplanned pregnancy and want to learn more about your adoption options, contact Adoption Choices of Colorado by email, phone, or text: Email Us, Call us: 720-371-1099, Call or Text us: 303-670-4673 (HOPE). If you are hoping to adopt, please contact us here.
Adoption Sayings and Quotes. (n.d.). Retrieved May 04, 2020, from https://www.wiseoldsayings.com/adoption-quotes/
Tsakopulos, T. (2019, December 27). The Adoption Conversation. Retrieved May 04, 2020, from https://www.adoptionchoices.org/the-adoption-conversation/
Peterson, A. (2019, June 4). 30 Loving Adoption Quotes for Birth Mothers and Adoptees. Retrieved April 22, 2020, from https://adopt-connect.com/blog/30-adoption-quotes-for-birth-mothers