What do Adoption Attorneys do?
Adoption is not a one-size-fits-all process. Every adoption is unique in its own way. There are a number of legal options for adoption depending on the circumstances under which it takes place. Your adoption attorney will be familiar with the process and all of its contingencies. They are there to help you through everything and work through your options with you as a prospective adoptive parent.
Adoption requires that parental rights be legally given to adoptive parents. This helps to solidify the familial relationship in the eyes of the law. The legality of an adoption is especially important because it can affect several things in the future for you and your child including financial aid, inheritance, and even medical decisions. Making sure that your adoption is done correctly, by the right attorney, will also give you and your family a sense of security in having reinforced your bond.
Adoption Attorneys and Experience
Choosing an experienced adoption attorney can be hugely beneficial. Attorneys are meant to provide a sense of security to their clients as they handle the legal aspects of adoption. However, expertise is extremely important. While some family attorneys may have studied adoption law, they are by no means as experienced as someone who has actually practiced it. That is why it is imperative to find an attorney whose level of experience you are comfortable with.
The adoption process can be hard on prospective adoptive parents. Splitting time between home visits and preparing your home and family for its newest addition can sometimes feel overwhelming. Your attorney should take care of everything on the legal end to help make sure the adoption goes well. If you hire an inexperienced attorney, you may be putting your adoption success in jeopardy.
Choosing the Right Adoption Attorney for You
While there are many adoption attorneys to choose from, it is crucial to choose one that will work best for you and your family. Here are some tips to help you to find an adoption attorney that best suits you:
- Use those around you – Any friends or family who have previously gone through the adoption process can serve as an excellent resource for you. If they are willing to share, don’t be afraid to ask for tips and recommendations.
- Figure out your needs – If you are single and working through the adoption process, you would benefit from working with an attorney who has worked with single prospective adoptive parents before.
- Narrow your list – There are bound to be a number of adoption attorneys in your area. Narrow your list down to those who best fit your needs. If possible, write down a screening checklist and narrow down your choices according to it.
- Factor in cost – Private practice attorneys set their own prices, you should set a budget and find an attorney that will fit within it.
- Look at their history – No matter how experienced an adoption attorney is, if they are leaving their clients unsatisfied or have a history of disruptions, then they may not be right for you.
As a prospective adoptive parent, you will have several different options when it comes to choosing the right adoption attorney for you and your family. It is most important to do your research to make sure that you are completely satisfied with the attorney that you have chosen. If you are struggling to find an adoption attorney, check out the Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Attorneys (AAAA) website, they’ve compiled a directory of adoption attorneys with experience and acclaim, including our own Virginia Frank.
Academy of Adoption and Assisted Reproduction Attorneys. Why You Need An Attorney. https://adoptionart.org/find-an-attorney/why-you-need-an-attorney/. Accessed 12 December 2018.